Saturday, January 12, 2008

There's someone new...


Someone new showed their face on the mustang horse forum today. Someone who's been lurking, but finally decided to introduce themselves. Someone who's sent me once again careening headlong into dreamworld...

Her name is Jessie, and she's been selected as a trainer for the Midwest Mustang Challenge. She picked up her horse not long ago and has begun to blog about her adventures with Remington, a lovely bay gelding with the most incredible eyes!

Jessie's news of being selected comes on the heels of my finally watching the last episode of the Extreme Mustang Makeover on RFD TV (City Boy had taped them for me), as well as watching the last few videos on Kitty Lauman's site with the top three finishers being highlighted there. Watching the TV show sparked that longing deep within, not to mention a few tears. I so badly want to do this, and sit here frustrated with little things like rain and lack of a trailer. Then there's the big thing: References.

References make or break a persons application. They said as much during the first EMM episode that I watched. A trailer I can borrow (had someone tell me last week she'd haul me if I applied and got in), and I can always bite the bullet and rent a stall somewhere with covered riding space once the horse is gentled and manageable from the ground. But references? That's where things get tough, because it's been 15 years since I've been in the 'real' horse world. Since getting back into horses, I've had babies...wild babies. Not horses old enough to hop on and go for a ride with friends, where I'd gain witnesses to the fact that I can indeed still sit a horse and have a light hand. No, the most that people know right now is that I've got an approved facility and my horses are halter broke. Pretty difficult to answer the question, "How often do you see this trainer ride or work horses", when it's been 15 years or you've never seen them ride...

Sigh...what's a desperate horsewife to do?

3 comments:

Christy said...

I'd say exactly that. That although you have not ridden with anyone recently, that you have knowledge of the Mustangs and can prove yourself through the EMM.

Jessie said...

Thanks so much for mentioning me!

I agree with Christy! So many trainers in this competition (including myself) have never dealt with a "wild" mustang, so you've already got so much going for you, having dealt with several!

Tracey said...

Enablers...both of you! LOL...