Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Meeting Place

Okay, so you know it's been a battle within when it comes to this application in front of me. Are the skills I've gained over the past couple of years sufficient enough to get me through the Mustang Challenge? Or would it be best to just sit on the sidelines and watch...again?

You've probably also figured out that there's a bit of a spiritual journey going on here as well. That the makeovers are a big undertaking is a but of an understatement. There's the gas money, the feed, the vet/farrier and everything else associated with horse ownership and shows. While the Mustang Heritage Foundation will pay you back a portion of your expenses, it comes no where near what you're putting out to get down and back...twice (once to pick up the horse, then again for the show.) Plus there's the little fact of me not owning a horse trailer. And, of course, the mud and my dislike of working in the rain. Still, the thought has remained a low simmer.

So I trotted off to church last week where we've got a lovely pastor who tends to ramble and loses me on many an occasion. But not last week. Last week the message was clear. "You are weak, but He is strong." In our weak moments, God can do powerful things. And my mind immediately latched onto that. Heck...I'm weak! Look at all I've got to overcome there. What am I thinking, taking on a project like this; it's way bigger than I am. But it's not bigger than God, eh? And how will I ever know if I can do it if I don't step up to the plate? God can overcome the other limitations, but he's not going send in the application for me; I've got to meet him halfway if anything is to be accomplished.

So...I've asked a couple of people to fill out my trainer referral forms, printed up photos of the 'facilities', and still need to find a trailer that meets the requirements (without sending me to the poor house...would you like to volunteer to drive me to California?) I also need to send in a photo of myself. And the whole thing needs to be postmarked by Friday at the latest.

Now, don't be thinking you're glad it's me instead of you, because you are hereby required to voice your opinion. Darling and I have struggled with my mug shot. I don't like to wear my glasses for such things and took my own photo without them. She likes the glasses on and made me pose again last night. It's now your decision. Which one do I use?


Will it be photo #1?



Photo #2?



Or perhaps photo #3?


What, you think you're just going to sit there and snicker? That you don't have to answer? Well, there's where you're wrong. MiKael, that maniacal Arabian Horse Breeder, has passed along a little game of pay it forward, in which the first three folks who left a comment would get a prize. Lucky me, I was one of those. Now, if you want a chance at your prize (and I promise it will NOT be an 8x10 glossy of any of these mugshots), then leave your comment and let me know which one you prefer. Prizes go to the first three.

And, if you're not one of the first three and think you'll not need to leave feedback, oh how wrong you are. I will hunt you down and send you the blown up, life size poster of this!

27 comments:

Alexa said...

Hi- I'm delurking. I am a horse lover, who can't afford a horse and lives vicariously through you. Thanks for the great blog.
Anyway, I like the 2nd and 3rd shots. I like the second shot the most, but my monitor is pretty dark and your hair kind of disappears into the background.
Thanks again for giving me something horsey to look forward to.

Unknown said...

I like #2 also..I like the outside shots, Your blue jacket stand stands out so nicely!

I love your Horse pics, We have an 18 yr old QH and He is our old man that we are "Learning" with.

Bluepaintred said...

i really like number two because the green background really brings out your eyes

Tracey said...

Wow! I've de-lurked someone, lol! Glad you decided to shed the invisibility cloak, Alexa, and you're quite welcome for the cyber horsey experience :)

Heather, thanks for the vote and enjoy that 'old' man of your's! My old gelding lived to 32 before we put him down, so you've got plenty of years left.

Bluepainred, good to see you again (although...I can only see the top of you there. You must take your own photos, just like me, eh?)

All three of you should send me your addresses so I can pop a little something in the mail for you. I think this game requires you pay it forward as well. Hope you have fun with it!

Christy said...

Absolutely #1 Tracey!! 1000% #1. DD is right, it's something about the glasses!

De lurking, man, that rocks!

Lastly. I wonder if there is a way we could share custody of a trailer? I need one too. I suppose we live to far away though.

Anonymous said...

I have to say that I, too, am leaning towards #2.

Britni said...

I agree with Christy, I really like picture #1.

Jean said...

I like #1, too.

Tracey said...

What? Darling's glasses photo? Sigh...I'm not sure I'll be able to show her this after school.

Christy, I wish we were closer. That would definitely be an option. Most folks aren't thrilled with the prospect of loaning one out for that long of a trip (even when you promise to insure it!) Of course I totally understand that. I'm going to have to at least get a photo of one to send in, though, as that's one of the requirements (along with the mug shot.)

Anonymous said...

I like #2 & #3... #2 is nice because of the outdoor background... the green of the grass & trees sets off your red hair and blue eyes very nicely.

And don't be so hard on yourself... you are beautiful! Freckles & all! ;o)

Anonymous said...

#3 - I like #2 also - but the background of #3 helps you stand out a bit nicer.

Anonymous said...

Number two or three.

Tracey said...

Oh, good...looks like I'm pulling ahead of Darling again! (Is it wrong of me to be so competitive with a 14 year old, do you think? Nah...)

Lady Of Chaos said...

#2 is my fav... but then as you know, I'm not that much of a judge on photography ;)

Pony Tail Club said...

I like them all, but my favorite is number 2....

Jessie said...

#2!!!

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

#1, definitely. Can't say why, it just looks right.

Good luck with your application! I can't wait to hear how it goes.

When do you have to pick up your horse? I wish I could go with you! I have a trailer... But if the weather is bad I'm no good for that sort of thing. And I'd have to get my tires and bearings checked, etc. I dunno, let me know some dates and maybe we can think about it.

photogchic said...

Tracey--both pictures are great...I think I like without glasses a little more...you look a younger and more mysterious. So does this mean you are going for it??? Things will fall into place. How far away are you from Portland?

Anonymous said...

I like #2 also. Let us know which you choose, Lea

Paul Nichols said...

Numero dos. Usted es muy bonita. La-la!

Jen said...

I like them all! #2 is best though :0) The background looks great on ya!

Rising Rainbow said...

As the maniacal Arabian breeder, I'm probably not qualified to vote on mug shots for mustang challenge applications BUT I think two would be my pick.

And you're definitely to be commended getting someone to delurk. There should be some kind of award for that, I'm thinking. lol

Woody said...

I'm in the minority with #3...It makes you look brighter. Not saying you look dim.

Now you can see why I'm always having to buy flowers for my wife...lol

peace

Connie Peterson said...

I like shot number 2 ... just a little bit nicer than the others. They are all nice. Wanna really go into shock? I'll let you see MINE!!!

Kathy C said...

I'm thinking number 2 as well. Because it is outside it is more natural.

Good Luck!! Can't wait to hear how this goes.

Bluepaintred said...

I can't seem to find your email address anywhere! If you e-mail me your e-mail at my e-mail I can e-mail you (LOL)

bluepaintred@gmail.com

And yes! I'm looking forward to paying it forward on my blog as well!!

Bluepaintred said...

I've done the pay it forward thing on my blog, and sent out my prizes to my three commenter's, but still have yet to get your email address so i can send you my snail mail address!