Wednesday, December 30, 2009

This Day, Last Year

This day, last year, I had Steve Holt! in training for the Mustang Makeover.

Photobucket

Today, I have no horses heading to makeovers, but I have got Tika in training, and as you know, I'm fond of looking back to see what life was like at this stage of the game with previous horses.

We had the four letter S word most of December last year. The ground was slick and white, so no hauling about like I'm able to do this year. Still, we had the round pen at home, which worked quite well for getting the long legged lad worked from the ground. I was thrilled when I was able to touch his head and get a bridle on three times.

THREE TIMES!

Tika's worn it how often now? Too many times to count. She's not at all head shy like the boys were. Which is odd in a way, because when she first got here she'd step on her lead and you'd have though someone had fired a bullet into her chest from her reaction! She'd sit down on her haunches and her head would fling up into the air as her forefeet lifted off the ground, releasing the lead they'd just caught beneath them. She's very sensitive to pressure, but not to touch, which has been a real blessing.

Photobucket

Mom...your horse doesn't like me.

About this time, the snow was beginning to melt, and City Boy had helped me get Steve Holt! into the trailer a couple of times for our first journeys to the arena. A video in this link, posted December 30, 2008, shows what we probably did the day before. I was surprised to see him being sensitive to so much, especially considering what happened just two days later, on New Year's Eve.

This week, City Boy again traveled to the riding club with me to get some footage of Tika being worked. Darling, of course, worked her magic and put together a lovely little piece for me to share with you. I'm simply in awe of this pretty little mare...there's something very special about her.



Yes, it truly is a beautiful video, showing the special bond I've created with this lovely mare...I especially love the whiplash segment...

9 comments:

photogchic said...

Nice video work Darling. What editing system is she doing her stuff on?

Tracey said...

Sony Vegas (I had to ask...Vega or Vegas? They're teasing me!)

Miss Penelope. said...

Ah the whiplash was the best part of it! Just kidding. What a pity Australia's government isn't as supportive of brumbies as they are in America! I might just challenge myself instead of other trainers when I eventually get myself a brumby!!

froglander said...

Amazing video. And to think, you are able to do all of this with a what, 7 year old mare? Maybe they should bump the age of the makeover horses from 3 and 4 to 5 and 6. You're doing a great job :)

Tracey said...

Miss Pen, there's quite a bit of controversy over the wild horses here right now, and unfortunately those in Washington DC are lack any empathy as to the current plight. Gathers have become so aggressive that there is concern that not enough horses are being left to keep a decent gene pool going. We also have so many in long term holding right now that they're threatening to euthanize; something I wasn't against until the aggressive gathers began happening. Why add more horses to those who already can't find homes?

Kristi, they're doing a challenge with 5 and 6 year olds right now. Contestants get to watch the horses on tv, then bid on the ones they want. You can take up to four to train, and compete with which ever is your favorite of the group. Glad to see MHF is listening with some of the new competitions coming in 2010!

Shirley said...

Darling did a great job on the music in that video. Tika sure is sensitive, and I think you are going to have an exceptional mare there. Is she yours? (She thinks she is!)

Anonymous said...

Lovely video - thanks for sharing - she does look like a special mare!

Pony Girl said...

Always love Darling's videos! Captures such special moments in your horse adventures, in such a unique way. Can't wait to see your first ride on Tika! Have a happy New Year!!

Lea and her Mustangs said...

Happy New Year my friend. To you and your family. Love your pictures and Katies video's.