Sunday, April 13, 2008

Sandy's Fifth Week

Sandy's day was rather full yesterday. The sun came out and the temps reached the low 70's, making it a wonderful day to put a horse to work. First, however, was a trip to the arena where he was turned loose for a second time. Friday he stood at the gate and wondered why he was in a dark box. Yesterday he realized he could play. Being the lazy bloke he is, it didn't last long, but it was nice to see him stretch his legs just a little and he seemed to enjoy rolling in the soft, dry dirt.

A bit later I saddled him up and headed back to the arena for some lunging. I really feel it's okay to climb on board right now, but I had no pit crew available, so on the ground I stayed. Sandy got quite the workout and the heat helped wear him down relatively quickly. He's not liked leading all the way around the arena without stopping, but once he was dripping with sweat he didn't have it in him to argue. This was the first time I'd worked him to that point, and you can be sure he's got just a few more of those coming!

I really haven't got a list of what Sandy accomplished that was new this week. We built on things he's already been introduced to and tried to smooth things out. He stands 95% still when being saddled now rather than backing in circles. All four feet come up off the ground easier and I can reach under his belly to grab the cinch without him flinching. With more room to work, he's learning to lead in straight lines as well as around cones and past blue eyed monsters. He still snorts at everything in sight...

Well...nearly everything. There is one new thing to tell you about. Sandy made a friend. A new creature came walking onto the grounds yesterday and was put into one of the outdoor runs alongside the round pen. When the new creature spotted Sandy out walking, it let out an amazing, wheezing heeeee haaaaaaw! It's voice perked Sandy right up, and do you know how he responded? He whinnied! Not only once, but twice that mule brayed and twice Sandy answered the call. So the boy has a whinny box after all.




Join the Hay Burner's Club and donate $15 towards Sandy's upkeep and I'll send you a 5x7 photo (once the horse is here, of course.) Or buy advertising space in the form of a button.

6 comments:

Kathy C said...

Oh My Gosh! It took a mule to make him speak! Too, too funny.

I bet next weeks list will include a few rides. You're doing great!

Mikey said...

Can't believe it took a mule! How weird is that?
You're doing good, weather permitting, it won't be long before you're riding!!!
oooh, while I gotcha... how long after the deadline did you hear you'd been selected? I just entered my BIL in the Extreme Makeover and it closes the 15th. Wanted to know when they'd select people and if they posted it online..

Callie said...

LOL, a mule, LOL......that's great!

Tracey said...

Isn't that funny? I wish I'd gotten better picks of the boy as he was really super cute with long white socks that came up to his knees and past his hocks. Sandy said he wanted socks like that for Christmas... :D

Rising Rainbow said...

I think that's really funny. I wonder if he has a history with wild ones. There's got to be some reason he feels comfortable enough to finally speak!

Tracey said...

Oh, I forgot to tell you that we heard back after two weeks, but sometimes they take a bit longer depending on how much time they have before the competition. You can email and ask them. Good luck to your BIL!!