Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Really?

Photobucket

Really?
Snow? Sigh... Will it ever end? My round pen is half covered in water, and the other half is too soggy to work in. The paddocks are in pretty much the same shape. The rains from the past few weeks have simply been too much. I can not wait for spring...and sun...to finally arrive.

Photobucket

I went and watched a bit of the reined cowhorse competition up here this weekend. For those unfamiliar, the horse starts off with a reining pattern to show how well he responds to a rider. Circles, lead changes, sliding stops and spins...fun stuff. Then the calf is let in, and there's a bit of cutting, followed by driving the calf down the rail, turning him back, going down the rail again, turning the opposite direction, then out into the center of the arena where you turn your calf in a circle, first to the right, then to the left. Basically, showing off skills that a horse would need on a ranch. It can be pretty exciting, especially since the cows don't read the rule book.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I got off a couple of good shots, and took a bit of video, but it was simply too cold for me and since I was there alone, I left before long. Have I mentioned I'm ready for spring and warmer weather?

Photobucket

7 comments:

hg said...

Love the pictures.

photogchic said...

I got hailed on today...the rain just won't stop. Dreaming of sunshine down here in Portland.

cdncowgirl said...

Great pics, that class you took probably helped with those action shots! :)

ps we have snow too :(

Paint Girl said...

Oh Tracey! I am also so tired of the rain, wind, mud and everything else wet that Mother Nature has thrown our way!! I just want warm, or rather hot, dry, sunny weather!! I'll take last summer right now!! I don't even care about the dust!
Cool pictures!!

CTG Ponies said...

I love the motion shots. It really conveys the strength of both animals.

Becky said...

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL close-up of the sorrel and the cow--- wow. Seriously--- BIG WOW. That one is gorgeous! You really captured the spirit of the moment/

Leah Fry said...

Great action shots. Haha, the cows don't read the rule books.

I hope you get some warm and dry weather soon. We've had temps in the 80s, and it's been glorious.