Friday, October 30, 2009

The Hills were Alive...


It was dusk, 5:30ish, and I was out feeding horses. Evita, a mare who's been here for gentling, had the halter slipped over one ear again. Undoubtedly it'll be off by morning, I thought, so I tried to get close. No success. She's an elusive thing who'd prefer I fell into a hole. A very deep hole.

While out there with her, a chunk of alfalfa in one hand and my trusty pole in the other, I heard something from up in the hills. I glanced up as Vita trotted past. Was that a voice? I wasn't sure, and turned back to the mare.

It wasn't more than a half minute when I heard it again. Strange. A one syllable word. I felt uncomfortable. Not frightened, just wondered what that was. It sounded human; not an owl, not a big cat, and certainly not the wind in the trees (which there was plenty of.) No, this was deeper, and it sounded like...did it?...like 'help'.

And there it was again. And repeated. The first time long and drawn out, the second time not so much.

What to do? Was I hearing someone in distress? Or were my ears playing tricks on me?

Darling showed up about then. I asked her to listen. She did, and I asked if that was a person, and were they calling for help? She immediately panicked and went into fright mode. Yes, yes, it sounded like a person, run, into the house, faster, go, come on, leave the horses, get to safety! And most importantly...call 911!

So I did. I called, and told them the sound wasn't too clear, but that I thought someone was calling for help up in the hills, but it was an echoing sound and I couldn't be sure. There was logging up there, but they'd be done for the day. Or hunters... But I didn't know.

Dinner was waiting inside, and Darling had the doors locked. Hearing that it may be a logger or hunter seemed to calm her nerves. Being so close to fright night, her imagination had taken hold, but now she was beginning to relax. Within ten minutes there was a knock at the door, and she jumped. Sheriff Deputy, I told her as I got up.

Naturally, the calling had stopped by then. There's no way for anyone to know what or where the noise originated from. Not now, not tonight. Maybe not ever. Unless someone is reported missing, we may never know...

4 comments:

Mrs. Mom said...

Holy cow Tracey... That got my search and rescue instincts moving here. I'd have saddled up and headed out w/ radio, lights, cell phone, first aid supplies, firearm, and tried to find out what was up! Sure hope everything is OK....

Connie Peterson said...

Ohhhhhhhh .... spooky! Hope that whoever was hollering got the attention needed (and hope it wasn't imagination!)...

Linda said...

Weird. With the wind though, you never know. I do hope you find out--just to ease your mind--and ours.

Pony Girl said...

Very spooky story! You write with such good suspense. I wouldn't have gone up looking myself, I would have called the authorities, like you did! Maybe it was a spirit in the hills.....
I'm at a loss right now but trying to remember where I was not long ago where some animal made a sound almost exactly like a crying baby. It was really disturbing!