Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving


So tell me...what have you got to be thankful for this year?

A song that has filtered through my head most of the day was one we sing in church from time to time, "Give Thanks, with a grateful heart"... When things seem to be going wrong, that's not always easy.

Five years ago City Boy called me with the news: "They just told me I'd be gone by the end of the month." That month was October, meaning he'd be unemployed at Christmas. And yet amazingly enough, that was one of the best Christmases I recall. The gifts were small, but treasured. My favorite gift ever was among them...a pair of pink rubber boots! It was such a shock to see them when I opened the box and I laughed so hard I nearly cried. I loved them and made sure they were on my feet when I went to the grocery store the following morning. I'll bet those city slickers were taking a few sideways glances, but I didn't care. Those boots rocked my Christmas, and I was thankful to have them.

I hope you've been able to reflect on your life and find things to be thankful for this week, and I pray that you're able to keep those thoughts at the forefront of your mind as you travel down life's path. Not everything we face is pleasant, and many of us are facing uncertain times with the current economy. Just remember that God is always in charge, and even when we think there is only darkness, the eternal Light is always on...

6 comments:

Gal Wednesday said...

Love the cute pony! I want one for christmas!

Lea and her Mustangs said...

Hope you had a wonderful day. OUr intown kids came. I am still stuffed.

Rising Rainbow said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

Things are tight here but there's still plenty to be thankful for. Do you still have those pink boots? Or at least a pic?????

Tracey said...

Blog451, isn't she just the cutest!

Lea, I'm glad you were able to spend some time with family...and I hope you got to take a nap after becoming stuffed (that's what I like to do!)

Mikael, sadly the boots got holes in them, and I don't think there are any photos.

Linda said...

These are definitely uncertain times for us all. Yesterday, it was hard to get people to make plans for next Thanksgiving because no one was sure what this year will bring. But it's my experience, too, that tough times were always the best--maybe because life's simpler. I kind of think the unknown this year will be scarier than actually facing whatever it is we're facing.

Cave BlackFyre said...

I am thankful for healthy, family, friends and the chance to ride.

I am thankful for sunny days after all the rain and I am thankful for doors that open when windows close.