Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Cricket's Big Adventure

Cricket had a big adventure. He had been so hesitant to lead the day before, but once he figured it out we were off! He led easily around his paddock, so I opened the gate and led him to the round pen. No problem! He stepped nicely through the narrow gate and asked politely for a treat. Smart boy!

I left him with a flake of grass hay and a bucket of water for an hour or so where he could enjoy a new view. He didn't want the hay, but indicated he'd rather have a bit of that fresh, green grass on the other side of the panels. Since he was being so good, I decided I could trust him out in the big field.

He's really a nice boy, this Cross Eyed Cricket! He perked up when he saw the neighbor's horses, but settled back down to his quiet self as soon as I turned his head away. When the pig decided to remodel his house in the nearby pig pen, Cricket bolted ahead of me three big strides. The lead rope shot out of my hand, but he turned around to see what had caused the ruckus and once more settled back down. Dump trucks rumbled down the road, the pig continued to rearrange his pen, and the neighbor's wanna be stallion continued to roar across the fence. But Cricket only wanted to eat the grass.


Interested in adopting Cricket?
$125 and a BLM care agreement are all it takes!
Email me for more details!

7 comments:

LA Nickers said...

Gee . . . if I didn't have too many horses in my heart (and family) already . . .

He's adorable.

Just for fun, will you vote in my poll?
DISCIPLINE MATTERS – How Do You Ride? On THE MANE POINT

Blessings,
Linda
The Mane Point

Gecko said...

He is a nice looking boy! I really can't wait to follow his journey!

Katee said...

He sounds great! I love a horse who naturally seems to be a "thinker" not a "react-er." He's going to find a great home, I'm sure.

Pony Girl said...

Looks like Cricket was enjoying that fresh green grass! I agree with Katee, the thinker, not reactor, is a good trait! Cricket is going to make someone a fine horse.

photogchic said...

Cricket looks like a very sweet boy. I think you are going to get a lot done with this guy.

Callie said...

Awww, what a good boy! He's a cutie, but I have to say I like that redhead's cute little face on your previous post!

CindyScillo said...

Cricket is now Dusty. I try to keep photos updated on this album. You are always welcome to come check out his progress! He's currently working with a trainer daily - we needed the help due to lack of experience - and should be "on the trail" before long.

http://picasaweb.google.com/cindyscillo/DustyTheMustang#