Monday, August 23, 2010

Can You Please Tell Me...

...just how I'm supposed to limit my week at the fair to just one post on my blog? Can't be done, I'm pretty sure.

Photobucket

Duns was spectacular, though he didn't find an adopter. Nothing fazed this boy, nothing at all. Flags snapping and flapping in the wind, draft horses coming and going, even a 4-H parade led by a handful of little drummer boys with their boom-boom-boom couldn't get snort out of him. He simply spent the week lounging contentedly in his paddock, and when it came time to saddle up for the first time? Piece of cake. By his third day he was standing ground tied while I flung the saddle up onto his back and tightened it up.

While I worked with Duns, Darling got busy with La Primera, a two year old pinto from the Paisley Desert who'd been adopted by our friend Debbie.

Photobucket

To start, she used the long rope with the 2" 0 ring, running the end of the rope through the ring and fashioning what looks like a very long training collar around the filly's belly. She pulled it tight and had her move so that she could get used to the feel of something pulling there before the saddle went on.

The rope went smoothly, so the old saddle came out and went on. All I can say is, it's a good thing mom was close by and not standing with a camera, because the cinch had an entirely different reaction! Up into the air she went, first with a big rear, then a couple of bucks before being pulled around. After that? Nothing.

Photobucket

Darling was itching all week to climb on board, but being the mean mommy I am, I ordered her feet to stay on the ground. Can't say that I blame her, as I had the same feeling about Duns. But who needs an ambulance ride out of the fair grounds? Neither of us, I can assure you!

I've barely tapped into the slew of photographs from the fair, but did want to share these two with you of the most adorable little 4 year old who was driving in the youth cart class. She was such a feather weight, the horse didn't even know she was there; his trot was one of great determination once in the arena, and Daddy had to help out just a wee little bit. But what an experience for the little sprite!

Photobucket

Photobucket

9 comments:

Gal Wednesday said...

I love Darling's hair!

Jeni said...

Love the pics Tracey!

Paint Girl said...

What a pretty pinto! Doesn't surprise me that Darling was wanting to ride the pinto already!! And good for you to sticking to your guns about keeping her feet on the ground!
What cute picture's of the little girl!!

Becky said...

What happened with Darling's filly?

Crystal said...

Looks like a fun time, that little girl was adorable!

Mikey said...

Love this post, I really like both those horses, they're both gorgeous.
However, one thing stands way out (not Darling's hair)... that carriage horse. What's up with the feet? Anybody else notice that?

Tracey said...

Ahhh...the feet! Blob mentioned that on my facebook album as well, and the owner (and little girl's momma) answered:

"The shoes are called scotch bottom shoes. They were originally used on the coble stone streets of Scotland. This type of shoe was developed to help horses walk on uneven ground. Today they are used to show draft horses in. The added size and weight enhances the action. And yes, the horse is slightly in action so his feet do look a little weird. LOVE the picture!! Thanks for taking it!"

The gelding was in motion, barely, when I snapped the shot, which gives him a catywampus look, and I believe the shoes add to it :)

JennyB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JennyB said...

Welcome back! I'm sorry Duns didn't find a home. But that just means that the right home wasn't there and since you only want him going to the right home all is as it should be =)

I second Paint Girl's pat on your back for not letting Darling get up on the pinto yet! The time will come when it'll be time for someone to get up there soon enough and rushing it will do nothing but increase the danger. Yay for you for being a good, sensible mama!

(forgot to add my new, high-speed signature a sec ago lol)
~~ JennyB, Horsefeathers