Tuesday, November 10, 2009

I'll Be Your Dirty Girl!

The thing about this photo challenge is...so many parts of the country have beautiful pastoral scenes, with rich loads of fall color, or pretty white fences, and lovely ponds for clear shots of pony reflections. And I have...

Photobucket

mud.


Lots of mud.


Loads of mud, piled on top of lots of mud, piled on top of more mud.


So when I take pictures of water shots, it's muddy water. When I take an eye shot, there's mud in their eye. And when the topic was behavior? Mud slinging could easily have been my shot of the day. To be honest? I was getting just a bit tired of all the dirt.

Photobucket

Until today. Because what was the topic? Dirt! And nowhere did it say that dirt needed to be dry!

Photobucket

It's been so nasty outside that I've not let the horses out to play much. The pasture, as you can see, is a regular slip and slide, and while I can turn Sandy and Steve Holt! out with relative certainty that they won't go getting stupid and get hurt sliding around out there, I hesitate to turn customer horses out. But they were getting a bit restless in their paddocks, so today Apple Pony was turned out into the mud pit (for his photo session), Tika into the round pen, and the paddocks opened up enough for Sky Bar to have a bit more space to buck and play. My boys? Well, they went into a side pasture which was newly created this summer and largely unused so far. Everyone enjoyed their free time and having the extra space. They tell me the rains are to continue. No surprise there.

Tomorrow's assignment? Human. Go ahead, think of something interesting for this dirty girl.

5 comments:

PaintCrazy said...

How weird. I did a mud post on my blog last night too!

We've actually had some beautiful Indian Summer days lately but the mud is a killjoy for sure. Can't even use the outdoor arena even though the weather is nice enough for it....

I sympathize!

Angie @ thejunkranch said...

We've had 2 1/2 inches of rain in less than 24 hours. I hear your pain. We do still have some pretty yellow and orange leaves deep in the woods. It's been a lovely fall here!

Tracey said...

I think mud should have one more letter in it. MMUD. Definitely four letters.

Angie, we've had a wickedly awesome fall, too, as far as colors go. They've hung on despite the rain when typically they turn black and sludge-like once it's damp.

sahara4d said...

For some reason I really like the first mud shot. The curve, little pebbles and grass bits...mud as art! I also have horses in the Pacific North Wet and my paddocks are muddy too. Maybe if I look at it with a different eye it wont seem so bad...nah.

Pony Girl said...

Great pictures Tracey! Your photography just keeps getting better and better. I love the pink princess one, how creative!Ugh, I hear ya on the mud. It's hear to stay until May, unfortunately. It took me SO long to get my horse cleaned up for the farrier yesterday.