Monday, March 23, 2009

Okay, okay...


Northwest EMM winner, Laird McCabe, takes a victory lap on Sally




There is nothing at all charming about driving through Portland. Oh, as a kid I loved all those bridges that reminded me of roller coasters! But hauling a trailer? Um...no. No thank you.


Steve Holt! settled right in to his temporary stall. I'm thinking he's wishing he had a cup of coffee just like City Boy, what do you think?


Can you see her?

There was a little black mare at the event named Flicka. Her young trainer had found out she was pregnant about the time we picked up our horses. She had a very rough first month; was quite sick and lost a lot of weight. Naturally, climbing on board a wild horse was out of the question! So she did what she could from the ground for little Flicka and hoped that someone would adopt and finish her.

Darling was fond of this little mare, spending time at the stall coaxing her into letting her touch that soft, velvety nose. Flicka was shy and unsure of all that was going on around, but she tried hard to be brave. When her trainer led her into the ring, no one raised their card. The auctioneer did his best to drum up some interest.

Darling sat next to City Boy with silent tears in her eyes. The young trainer stood below, trying to choke out the words into a microphone, telling people a little about her mare and praying she wouldn't end up being sent back to the corrals.

It was more than a City Boy could bear, having two girls crying over a little horse, so up went his number, and home came Flicka.

I'm afraid I just didn't have enough time yesterday to get a picture of her. She's a cute little thing; 14 hands at best but very solid. Pretty face on her; very refined muzzle and big bright eyes.

We don't intend to keep her, just help her get a bit more training then find her a home. There's an adoption event in Arlington next month, so hopefully something will work out for her there. Or maybe one of you would like to help her out and give her a home?

13 comments:

Jeanette said...

I AGREE!!! there is nothing charming about driving through Portland! Have you noticed??? The Engineers who designed the freeways there may have been dyslesic (is that how it's spelled???)...when you know your destination is on the right, you'll be exiting the roadway to the left, it is truly amazing how that works! Growing up driving in the Puget Sound / Pacific NW area...the Portland area could very well be a different country.
Anyway...good for you, and CityBoy (what a kind hearted thing to do), can't wait to see the pics, she sounds cute!!!

Lea and her Mustangs said...

Glad to know you and the ponies got home safely. I HATE driving thru Portland. However there is a detour for those going east and that was not too bad coming or going. Thank you for letting me hang around with you some - I should have just spent the money and taken Nikki. She would have loved it. Maybe another year. Her little guys will be older and her health better. Did enjoy it all. Am so happy that Steve Holt is home and that Flicka will get a good chance to get a forever home too. She is a cute little horse.

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

I wondered if it was Flicka who came home with you. She is cute. Glad you picked her up, she looks like she needs some help before she goes on to someone who may not know what they're doing. I hope you post updates on her progress!

Anonymous said...

AWWW...Your city boy is awesome...so is that darling daughter of yours! I can't wait to see video of you and her playing with Flicka....Thanks for finally updating us......

Shari said...

I hate driving through Portland too!
Sounds like you had a pretty good time, sorry I could not make it. You guys have a soft heart and very glad you bought that young mustang home with you! Can't wait to see photos.

CTG Ponies said...

Please post pics of Flicka as soon as you can! Glad to hear that Steve Holt's ride was good and glad to see him come home with you.

Keith Danielson said...

Tracey,
So good to see you and your family at Albany. You did a great job with Steve Holt!
All we can say is the Judges were smoking something!
our best to you,
Keith and Carla

stormyranch said...

Way to go City Boy! I was sitting on my hands so I didn't bid on her. She sure was a cutie. I wanted to take her home. Kevin and I are going to pick up a coulple of mustangs for the trainer incentive program and take them to the Prineville, oregon aboption July 26th. If we find adopters for them we get$750 a horse. Anybody want to join us!

nikki said...

You and your family have such big hearts! I'm sure she will find a great home with someone who will cherish her.

And a huge YIPPIE! on bringing home SteveHolt! I had my fingers crossed. :)

Sarah said...

OH Hurry up with those pictures!!!! No fair talking about her with out posting a good picture. :p

photogchic said...

City boy was sitting right in front of me then...I was hoping someone would bid and then up went his card. Didn't realize the connection until I read your post. Really enjoyed the event...my favorite horse was that little Robin...so glad the trainer took her home. Seemed like all the women trainers ended up buying their horses...whereas the men...let them go. Interesting. It was a good show...I have video and pictures of you I will have to send.

Nikki said...

Congratulation on doing so well and getting to bring your boy home! Thats great.

Connie Peterson said...

What a sweet man is that City Boy! A big heart, too. Norm says that it's pretty special that City Boy allowed you to take Flicka home. I wish I were closer, I'd manage to bully Norm into letting me get her. You know how I love black horses.

Pictures quickly, please!