Sunday, February 22, 2009

Sunday Stills

The assignment this week for Sunday Stills was Architecture. Preferably no barns, it was noted. How anyone could expect us not to flock to barns for this assignment is beyond me...or perhaps that was the point? Barns are my passion, though I also love photographing churches and old brick buildings. But as I'm rather tied down with Steve Holt!'s training, I'm not venturing very far in search of unique structures, meaning I went back into the archives in search of something that may be of interest.




The first thing that caught my eye was Stonehenge. Not the Stonehenge, of course. No, this is a monument that is built above the Columbia River in Maryville, Washington. For those of us who can't make it overseas to see the real deal, this one comes pretty darned close as it is a full size replica. It was built by Sam Hill, a road builder, in memory of the soldiers of Klickitat County who gave their lives during WWII.


One would have to ask themselves "What was Paul Allen thinking?" when they visit the Seattle Music Experiment. Was this his vision...or did the architect come up with it all on his own? Were they both on drugs, like so many of the artists featured inside? Or was this what they assumed the singers such as Jimi Hindrix and Janice Joplin were seeing when they looked out into the crowds of people at concerts? In the bottom photo you can see a reflection of yet another unique bit of architecture. Do you recognize it?



Okay...I had to have a barn here! This was built by my great-grandfather, Erdmund (later Edmund) Peters. My grandfather was 8 years old when the barn went up. It's where my grandparents raised my mom, aunt and uncle. I learned to ride here at this place...bareback and bridleless on the back of an old Guernsey milk cow. My aunt and her husband still live here on the family farm.



Looking up to the hay mow


Darling climbs up into the hay mow, just like her mother, grandmother, great grandparents, and great-great grandfather did before her.

16 comments:

Andrea said...

A wonderful selection!!! Love the sun shining through the very first photo! :)

Shirley said...

Great collection! Love the family history with the barn.

CTG Ponies said...

Very nice blend of photos! I'm partial to barns myself :)

VioletSky said...

I'm glad you incuded the barn.

Had to look up the SME, Gehry does have a different vision, doesn't he?!

Paula said...

Love the barn and the history. Nothing like a good old hayloft!
The Maryhill Stonehenge intrigues me and we are not far away. I'm going to have to stop there next time we head east. I hadn't even heard of it before this...

Ed said...

Very cool pics! I did say just kidding about the barns...:-)

gtyyup said...

Great photos Tracey!! But, I like the barn the best of course! Family history at it's best.

Flo said...

Great photos and I too love the barn :) I thought those Stonehenge stones were a little too square.

Mine is up over at my photo blog.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Very interesting about the Maryville Stonehenge on the Columbia..great photos too!
Your barn ones are also excellent:)

The Wife said...

Very nice. Loved them all.

Caffienated Cowgirl said...

Great photos...the Seattle Music Experiment is amazing!

Rising Rainbow said...

The only think I recognized was the reflection but I won't tell. I had to laugh at your comments on Paul Allen. You just might have something there. The building is definitely different.

Of course, my favorites would be the barns. Sounds like yours have great memories there.

Jen Mo said...

Stonehenge! I would love to see the real thing! I didn't even know that they had a replica here. I have to say love the barn photo as well!
Also you can bum a ride to Ireland through my photos anytime!

Jennifer MacNeill said...

Wow, love the Stonehenge replica. I'd love to see it (or the real thing).

Anonymous said...

Very nice shots. I them all.

J9 said...

Love the Stonehenge replica photos, as the older stonehenge doesn't quite look lik ehtis today!