Thursday, April 9, 2009

Snot Nosed Booger Boy

Doesn't Steve Holt! look pretty? This is the day he tried to kill me.

I sent the other boys out into the still muddy sacrifice field and closed the gate so they couldn't get back into the barn, then opened up the panels between paddocks so Steve Holt! could come out and stretch his legs while I was cleaning. BIG mistake. For as unenthusiastic as he typically is, today he began racing around the panels, bucking and kicking and carrying on like I was his best, long lost play buddy.

Um...no.

But he was not convinced that he should not be trapping me in corners while his feet were flying, and City Boy was more than just a little concerned on the outside as he watched me ducking for cover and trying to find my way around panels to the safety of the outside world. Steve Holt! would trot around to the gate at one end, then come racing back, bucking and kicking up mud as he flew past me, and before I could slip out of his way he'd be trotting back to his imaginary starting line. There simply wasn't enough time for me to get out across the open before he came snorting back.

Eventually I was able to pull a panel towards me and get inside a stall and wait him out. Once he didn't have panels to zoom around, or me to scare, he stopped, so I made a dash for the fence. Naturally, he came dashing along with, but thankfully City Boy was able to get the gate closed before he escaped into the open.

Yes, Steve Holt! has plenty of energy from being pent up in a stall and paddock as opposed to getting out for his daily rides. But after venting his frustrations, the coughing and snot was back. Steve Holt! is not the only one frustrated; I'm growing weary of his slow recovery as well. We had several appearances lined up, from clinics to horse shows to small local breed expos. None of this will happen until my boy heals.


7 comments:

Dusty Devoe said...

I'm glad you didn't get hurt! It can always be a scarey thing. Dusty was really hyper in the round pen last week, which is unusual, Cowboy made me get out. He didn't want me to get hurt. I think they are anxious for spring! Steve Holt sure is a handsome guy!

Shirley said...

Yikes! Sounds like that was scary, glad you are OK. Tracey, maybe you could give Steve Holt! some garlic- I know, I know; it sounds strange, but it works really well. I always give it to my horses when they're under the weather. It boosts their immune system and they like it. You can either cut up a couple of big fresh cloves and add it to his feed, or a heaping spoon of crushed garlic, or even just the granules. When all my horses got sick in December they all got garlic, and even Chickory got to the point where if I didn't put garlic in her grain she'd give me a dirty look and just pick at it until I added the garlic! It's inexpensive, and worth a try.

CTG Ponies said...

So glad you weren't hurt! Montero came running towards me the other day and stopped dead right in front of me, blowing like a freight train. He's starting to feel better now that he's gained weight (56 pounds so far).

Poor Steve Holt! I hope he starts to feel better soon. A friend has a horse that she got at auction who ended up with pneumonia and he's doing the same thing - lots of goo from the nose and coughing.

Pony Girl said...

You snot nosed booger boy can come hang out with my oozing sarcoid boy anytime! ;)
Sorry he was so riled up. That is scary, and not safe. He definitely has spring fever.
One of my sister's mares developed a nose condition once too, it was awful the stuff she coughed and blew out of there. It took forever to go away. It seemed to be triggered by moving to a barn for training, stress, a certain kind of shavings....it was bizzare. She was on antibiotics for a long time. I hope SH! is on the mend soon so you can get back to riding and all of your fun plans!

Nikki said...

Thats not anymore attractive on a horse then on a little kid! lol I'm glad you are ok andI hope SH feels better soon.

Linda said...

I guess they're all feeling fresh then. Glad you made it out safe and I hope he gets on his feet again soon so you can run off some of his energy!

Lea and her Mustangs said...

Not a fun place when they get to running off their energy. Hope he is well soon. It looks gooky.