Tuesday, April 7, 2009

City Boy goes Car Shopping


Or...
I'm Not Spoiled, My Husband Just Loves Me!


City Boy's been wanting a new car. Not that we buy new...not any more. City Boy now loves chasing the deal, finding the car that suits his needs & whimsey as well as his pocket book. If it's not below blue book in price, it doesn't sit in our driveway.

Recently City Boy and I had a disagreement. What it was about, I do not recall, but I do know I gave him the cold shoulder for a couple of days. When he finally had a day off, he asked what would make me happy.

"Easy. Gimme a thousand bucks."

"Why?"

"I want a new saddle and I can't find one in my price range."

To which I received a grunt and roll of the eyes. Hey...it only seems fair if he gets a new ride, so do I, right?

City Boy informed me he was heading south to look at a car and would be late getting back. I had to run and get some hay. After the hay, I ran a couple of errands. I spotted City Boy on his way home while I was out. He'd taken Geek Boy along with him in case he came home with something new, but it was just the two of them in the same car.

When I got home, this is what I found:


It's a Crates Reiner, only ridden in once, and to tell the truth it's cleaner than one I'd been looking at recently at the tack store. I'd found a merino fleece cinch recently as well as a fleece pad, so once Steve Holt! is healthy we'll be ready to roll!


I'm not spoiled!

My husband just loves me, that's all!


So City Boy was set back a little in his car fund. On Saturday we decided to go to the auto auction here in town as he'd seen a couple of used BMWs on the list of vehicles being offered. He wouldn't go as high as blue book for two reasons; first, the auction yard tacks on an additional 10%, and second he wanted to make sure he had a little left over in case there were mechanical problems needing to be dealt with.

We were amazed and a bit dismayed as the bidding began. People were not caring what the vehicles were valued at and some of the nicer cars that were up early went for above their valued listing. It didn't appear we'd be waiting it out, as City Boy was certain he'd not get any of the vehicles on his list. But since they were going through roughly 10 cars every half hour, we decided to hang around and see how it all played out.

There was one BMW in particular that City Boy liked, although he wasn't fond of the color (silver), but it seemed to be getting a lot of attention from several folks. It blue booked at $9000, but ended up selling for $11,000! Crazy.

As the cars began to dwindle, my attention began to slip to the other side of the lot where there was a row of pick up trucks. My old Ford really struggles to make it up the passes and I'd love to find something that had a little more power. City Boy followed my gaze and groaned. Together we walked over to them and I pointed out a couple of newer Fords (you know, only 10 years old as opposed to my 20 year old.) He looked them over and decided only one of them was worth considering.

And so it was that we stuck around until the trucks began to sell, and City Boy raised his number not once, but twice when 'my' Ford was on the block...

We didn't win.

Two trucks down was a Dodge. I don't do anything other than Ford simply because it's easier to tie into the whole mustang theme and I'm always looking for ways to hook up with sponsors. But City Boy told me that truck would pull my trailer, and he quickly pulled up blue book on his cell phone (yeah...he's got the internet on his phone) and five minutes later we were the proud new owners of a '98 Dodge Ram! And City Boy is still without a new car.




Darling thinks it's pretty nice inside

But I am NOT spoiled!
My husband just...

Okay, okay...I'm spoiled!

19 comments:

froglander said...

Hooray, pictures!!

Looks like you made out pretty good there!

Of course you're not spoiled....

Jeanette said...

Hey...now those are some nice rides...both of em! City Boy does good! :)

CTG Ponies said...

Awesome! He's a good guy to get you a saddle and a new truck!! Mine encouraged me to order the very expensive custom saddle that I loved. I wasn't going to do it because of the amount of $$ involved but he actually talked me into it.

Pony Girl said...

Good for you guys for helping out the economy! Who says things are bad when people are buying cars over blue book?! ;) LOVE the new saddle....look at the thick pile underneath, hardly used! Can't wait to see it on your boy. (Who I hope is feeling better, by the way!)
A good truck is a must for getting over the passes! We did it once with horses in tow- scariest thing ever!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations and nice rides! The saddle sounds similar to mine, rode in once and a heck of a deal. Nice truck too -- I'm a Ford gal, but I'll admire your Dodge. ;) You'll definitely have no problem with the passes anymore and someone like you who does so much promoting should have a good truck and a good saddle. :D I'm happy for you.

PS: My City Boy has one of those Blackberry's -- I can look at blogs while we're driving down the freeway. It's a crazy thing!

Jessie said...

You are a very lucky lady!! I love the new saddle, I would like to try out a Crates some day.

*Walks off wondering how to get the boyfriend to buy her a new saddle...*

Angie @ thejunkranch said...

Love the saddle...wouldn't be caught dead in that dodge...LOL. love my F350! Hope you enjoy them both.

Lea and her Mustangs said...

Bob won't have a Ford and we love our Dodge. My only complaint is its a 6 speed and I wanted an automatic. You will love it. Ours is bright blue.

Lady Of Chaos said...

Oh man. I want I want I want that truck. I've been looking at those Rams lately.... I need to find a good deal on one so Hubby doesn't have to take off work to drive me and my horses every where... You're not spoiled. City Boy just loves you lots... I'm taking really good care of his horse to. :)

Katee said...

*swoon* to be spoiled with a new saddle and truck...sounds like a dream!

Shirley said...

City.Boy. is. a. keeper! We had a 98 Dodge with a V-10 and boy was it great for huling the trailer! What engine does yours have?
I ride a reining saddle (Bob Loomis) and I love it.

Tracey said...

Y'all are going to give City Boy a big head! I may just have to make a City Boy Fan Club shirt for y'all, lol!

Shirley, it's a V10 also. And guess what? We've named her Surely :)

I've heard from a few folks over the past couple of years that they used to be Ford folks, but once they got into one of the newer Dodges they didn't want to go back. Of course, I still see Fords at all the equine events...

Gecko said...

Ohhh you lucky lucky girl!!!! *jealousy*

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

How exciting! That's one nice looking saddle with an awesome truck to match. Most of our vehicles are hitting 80,000 miles and falling apart, so we are in the market for a new vehicle, but despite all the economic issues that the car companies are having, we can't find any good deals in our area. I'm at a point where the only thing that matters are comfortable seats to rest my back after riding horses.

gtyyup said...

Now, you've got quite the man there!! You're going to love your Dodge...and I think you'll like the saddle too!! Way to go girl!

City Boy said...

Fan Club!?

Linda said...

Funny how that works! You've got a matching truck to mine pretty much--white Dodge with same interior. I LOVE it. (Sorry Ford lovers). I've heard good things about Crates, too.

And that's really interesting about used car prices. I heard that people were buying up used cars like crazy--and they say that when the used stock is depleted, that's when the new cars are going to start selling again.

We're looking for a new car, too--and we found you can get a great deal on some of the new ones with all their rebates. Buying a couple years old may not be the deal it used to be.

Anonymous said...

A good truck, a good saddle, and a good man. We should all be so blessed!!!

marvel movie said...


Losing does not mean there is no win my boss
awaited his victory at di Gudangpokerbest
registration can visit the following link ( https://bit.ly/30gn2XC )