Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Welcome to the Quarter Horse Diaries!

No, no...you didn't get misdirected. Nor were we hacked. This is the new face! Yes, indeed. I felt it was time to come clean and confess...I've been hiding Quarter Horses on public lands! Letting them graze among the wild ones so I could take nice, romantic photos, and letting them get fat while the mustangs (whom everyone knows exist on air and sage brush) keep fit and trim. Mmmm~hmm...that's right.


Oye Vey, what a day yesterday! Honestly, some folks just make me laugh at their nonsense. Never been to see wild horses, never been to a gather, never been to the corrals...yet they're suddenly experts because someone else tells them this is the way it is. And honestly...saying that mare looks like a fit endurance horse and that I'm used to seeing plump quarter horses? Come on, ladies, you can do better than that!

Photobucket

Well, at any rate, the rest of you should enjoy my 'quarter horses' that I've been hiding out there on the range, starting with this lovely bay! We'd not ever seen him before, but he sure was interested enough in us to pose, pose, pose! What a camera ham! Nearly as bad as Dibs has been in the past.

Photobucket

Traveling with him was another stallion, a pinto that was roaning out on his flanks. Definitely a looker...and plump!

Photobucket

Naturally, the Lady In Red had to visit her 'Paint' horse while we were there.

Photobucket

And look at what I found at the corrals! Gathered from Palomino Butte, I think she looks ever so much like my Miss Tika...don't you?

Of course, we know these can't be real mustangs, because they're too fat. And plump. So to please those of you who want to see 'fit' horses straight off the range, here ya go!

Photobucket

Yearling colt

Photobucket

roan mare

Photobucket

and our super fit endurance mustang...


With that, I promise we'll be back to our regularly scheduled programming. I've got photos of the terrain, which helps explain why some HMAs have hefty ponies thriving, while others are gathered on the slim side to share.

And just for you Tika fans, you'll be happy to know she got to go for a ride to the arena tonight where she learned to wear a martingale. See? I'm still playing with my own pony :-)

6 comments:

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

Oh, how I want to bring them home and feed them! (and then send them away, because I have no need for more horses...) They'll get fat in the corrals I'm sure, but I sure do love to feed up a hungry horse.

I think somehow Scout is living two places at once. I can't believe how much he and your header horse look alike! They're twins!

I didn't even realize you were riding Tika regularly. You're going to have to do a better job of keeping us updated!

Tracey said...

Isn't he a cutie? And yes, he does look a lot like Scout!

I'm not riding Tika, I'm afraid...just getting her back into the swing of ground work and advancing that a bit. Gone too much these past few weeks (managing my QH herd up in the Steens, I'm afraid!) But I did get the martingale on her tonight, and Katie and I plan on really getting back into the swing of things, so hopefully that means getting my girl going strong!

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

Ah, you said go for a ride TO the arena, not AT the arena. Well anyway, I can't wait to hear how her training progresses.

Crystal said...

Some people!

Shirley said...

Big mouths go hand in hand with small intellect. Oh, did I say that with my outside voice- oops!

Lea and her Mustangs said...

Oh Tracey, you are just toooooo funny. Love it.