Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Beauty and the Punk

We've been hit with a winter blast...and it's not even Thanksgiving yet! My timbers are shivering...I need long underwear. Or maybe it's time to pull out the winter coveralls?

Photobucket

When I climbed out of bed this morning (4:30 am, I do not know why I was up at such an un-Godly hour) my thermometer said 11 degrees. Can we say cold? I think we can.

For some odd reason, my horses do not feel the cold. Maybe it's all those middle of the night feedings I've been doing, adding grass hay to their usual 2 flakes a day alfalfa diet to help them stay warm on these frost bitten days. I decided to turn Tika and Paisley out yesterday for a bit. I led Paisley through the round pen gate, and before I could close it behind me, she shot out across the frozen ground...lead rope flying out behind her. Sigh...

Photobucket

Wasn't long before Tika joined her...Beauty and the Punk, dancing around on the frosty ground. Crazy mustangs.

Photobucket

I grabbed a few shots...and came inside for my hot chocolate and contemplated why my horses felt like celebrating, and I felt like hibernating.

Photobucket

They're wearing their blankets, and I'm wearing a sweatshirt and my heavy coat, scarf and gloves. Without my layers? I'd be frozen just as solid as the water buckets. But not my mustangs...

Photobucket

They fly and dance and carry on like it's summer on the beach. Which it is not. It's winter, and ice covers the ground, and I'm worried about breaking a leg as I walk across the same ground that they feel is a raceway.

Photobucket

Someone once told me that if you don't shave your legs, they'll stay warmer in winter. Maybe that's the trick? My horses don't shave their legs...and look at all the energy they have! This is something I may have to think on a bit as I sit inside and sip my hot chocolate...

Photobucket

14 comments:

Unknown said...

LOVE IT! So cute! The snow is quite possibly my most favorite time of year with the horses. I LOVE watching them run around and romp in it!

Anonymous said...

Great photos! They do seem to love the snow!

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

Playing keeps them warm! You just need to jump around more. And seriously? You haven't gotten out your coveralls yet? I've been wearing mine for weeks. I hate cold legs...

Crystal said...

The ponies sure look like they are having a fun time, glad someone enjoys the cold!

Dom said...

Love the acrobatics!

Mrs. Mom said...

*ahem* City Boy might just have something to say about you not shaving your legs there girl.

Just sayin' ;)


GREAT shots Tracey!!!!!

Tracey said...

I'm much prefer to see the Objectionable White Stuff in photos than outside my door...no doubt about that! But it does appear to create a few photo opportunities, doesn't it?

Mrs Mom...you're right about the legs, lol!

Heather said...

Love love love that picture of Tika with all 4 feet off the ground and mane flying! Next thing you know they'll be building a snowman out there!

Lea and her Mustangs said...

Wonderful pictures Tracey. It is 2 degrees here at the moment.

Tracey said...

Rose, that would be a good trick, don't you think?

Lea, last I checked we were down to 10...could barely breath outside. Water freezes nearly as soon as I get it out there. Big tank is heated, but can't let the boys out with the girls, on account of they beat up on poor Tika and I don't want Paisley caught in the middle. So girls out tonight, boys in the morning...

Unknown said...

My absolute favorite is that one where one pony is completely airborne, as if lifted by snow fairies!

I'm busy shoveling sunshine. It was 80 today. Yesh.

Tracey said...

Oh, the cruel things my readers say! 80 degrees and shoveling sunshine??? Go!! Be gone with you! LOL...

Leah Fry said...

I love to watch them play, rain or shine. I do not envy you folks and your snow. I'm drinking my coffee with the windows open this morning.

Gina said...

you have beautiful horses! love the comment about the non shaven legs, and i have to say i have done that before but couldn't last more then 2 weeks and not much warmer :P

~Gina Chianello
Parelli Central