Saturday, March 21, 2009

Friday's Ride

Darling's not got the video ready...it was late and every one was tired when we got back from the
Expo grounds last night.

Steve Holt! was a pill in the afternoon, rearing and clipping my hand when we went out to the outdoor arena for a bit of leg stretching, but by early evening he was back to his old self. He wasn't bothered by the noise of the arena while we waiting outdoors, and by the time it was out turn he was half asleep. So half asleep that he received quite a laugh when he stumbled onto the bridge.

I don't recall if we got into our trot before going over the logs or not, but we didn't fall down (my fear when crossing poles, you know), and he did his back up dang near flawlessly. We'd spent the afternoon working on his downward transition so that our simple lead change came off without a hitch. Unfortunately, that meant each time I asked him to whoa, the thought we needed to drop into a long trot.

Forgetting his whoa isn't really anything new, is it? That was his only real flaw; he loped smooth, easy circles, loose reins, and during our 2 minutes of freestyle he did the fastest, smoothest, most awesome sidepass over a pole he's ever done! Darn near as good as those Spanish horses I showed you a few weeks ago! He also stood stock still while I untied my duster from his saddle and put it on.

And of course, there was a standing "Steve Holt!" shout from a few die hard fans up in the stands as we left the arena to thunderous applause.

Steve Holt! really pulled it out of the bag for me lat night and I am very proud of him. Now all I can do is hope no one outbids me during today's adoption.

The scores weren't posted until midnight, so I have no idea where we sit in the standings. We were way down a 23rd after the inhand...disappointing, to be sure and no real way to make it up. But last night's ride made up for any disappointment on not making the finals. (But gosh darn it all...I really wanted to run through my plastic!!!)

11 comments:

stormyranch said...

Tracey call my cell.
Lisa

gtyyup said...

Congrats Tracey....and SteveHolt! Way to go!!!

Shirley said...

Did I get that right, you are hoping to take Steve Holt! home with you? Yay! Hope you get him!

Angie @ thejunkranch said...

I'm glad everything went well! Hope you get to bring the boy home. I wanted you go ride through the plastic too...Good luck at the auction!

Jeanette said...

I'm so glad you had a good go. That is sometimes really hard to get past all the nerves.
I hope your placing in the competition makes it maybe a bit easier for you to bring him home :)

Anonymous said...

GO T GO!!!!! No matter what Steve's bobble's....we're so proud of you guys!

Anonymous said...

Congratualations Tracey! Wishing you all the best today. :D

~Joan

Kara said...

Congratulations! I heard you are bringing SteveHolt! home with you! I can't wait to watch you two in the future!

scapoose said...

Aww! Steve Holt! Did pretty darn good I think. Good luck at the auction. We didn't make it down to watch sadly

Karen C. said...

WOOO HOOOO!!!! Congratulations on being able to bring Steve Holt! home with you! :-D
Girl, you and Steve Holt! both are winners! Hugs to you both!

Karen and Tripp

allhorsestuff said...

Did you keep him??
Kac