Monday, November 3, 2008

Oh, The Waiting...

Click to Mix and Solve

It seems an eternity ago since Sandy came to me, an insecure little gelding with a habit of nipping and kicking and his lopsided Spanish walk. And I won't ever forget the disappointment I felt when I first laid eyes on him in Sacramento. A homely thing, to be sure. Not pretty at all like so many others. Yet Sandy is what you and I'd prayed for. God's perfect horse for me.

Sandy has given me my confidence back. I hadn't realized just how much of it was missing, to be honest, but Sandy has me doing things I've not done in years...and in some instance things I've never tried before. He's become my mentor in the equine world, slowly plugging away at me and encouraging me to try something new.

Most importantly, Sandy has reminded me of a biblical lesson, something that's woven in and out of scripture: "He who is least shall be great." Sandy has never been much to look at. Typically it's a quick glance with the 'poor, pitiful horse' look that we get. But then Sandy moves...and they see him on the rail or the trail and suddenly he becomes a star.

And that was Sandy's great lesson to me. Less is often more.

So why am I now sitting here combing through my old photos of a handful of mustangs I know to be left in Burns, wondering which one I may end up with should I be accepted into the upcoming makeover? And why am I drawn to this big eyed beauty? Sandy should have driven the point home that beauty is only skin deep...but I still can't help but plead just a wee bit with God that he put this lovely mare in my hands...


10 comments:

Linda said...

After reading this, I'm wondering if it's more about the horse than the confidence of the rider sometimes. I've ridden enough horses to know that some aren't as solid as others--and I've been put in scary situations. I watch Beautiful closely, and all I see is quiet confidence so far. I really hope that will translate into a solid trail horse that goes anywhere and does anything. I need one of those--like Sandy is for you.

Lea and her Mustangs said...

Tracey, Tracey - REMEMBER its which ever one God has picked out for you. I remember so clearly you calling me after you had loaded Sandy and telling me you got the ugliest horse in the corrall. NEVER NEVER. He is a wonderful horse. Barb told me she was so impressed with him. When will you get the word that you are in the running. I am positive you are.

Tracey said...

I know, Lea, I know!!! But I want him to pick the pretty one, lol!

Good to know he impressed Barb. He turns heads everywhere he goes. Truly a gift.

Anonymous said...

Homely horse? A dandy trail horse? Seems like the homely horse is a keeper... I've seen too many "beauties" that didnt have anything else going for them. I know which one i would rather be riding down the trail. You are so lucky to have Sandy.

Jeanette said...

While my daughter was in 4-H another club member outgrew their older, smaller horse and got a new one. These folks had real good taste so, imagine my surprise when I saw this new horse tied to their trailer at a show. It was one of the homliest animals, conformationally challenged and a really odd color and I remember biting my toungue with funny comments about the appearance of this horse.
I was SOOO GLAD that I didn't voice my nasty comments because I didn't even recognize that same horse in the performance class moments later. That was the MOST striking horse out there with a way of going that was pure poetry...and she won her pleasure HANDS DOWN!!!
I still make snap judgements about conformation, I can't seem to help myself. But, I have learned to keep those comments to myself because there is nothing more beautiful than an grand old mare babysitting a youngster with kindness. Or a horse like this horse, all the ugliness fell away in motion! Beauty is where you see it.

Tina Leavy said...

hey there..stopping by to wish you a great week.
well I'm glad Sandy has turned out to be a winner for you.

Anonymous said...

I think that you have what it takes to be a Pony Cousin!

Join the fun and find out if you would "fit in" by checking out this page: Highlight the address; copy it; paste onto your browser.

http://kjmiddleoftheroad.blogspot.com/2008/10/so-you-think-you-want-to-be-pony-cousin.html

Anonymous said...

Thank you for checking in at my blog, "You may be a Pony Cousin, if..."
I have carefully considered all of the factors and have determined that there are bloggers out there who are just as "horse crazy" as the Pony Cousins. However, i have found many, many bloggers who have taken "horse crazy" to new heights!

Check in to the blog: http://kjmiddleoftheroad.blogspot.com/2008/11/who-will-be-pony.html
Find out if you have what it takes to be a Pony Cousin!

froglander said...

So do you know if someone got this mare for the makeover?

Tracey said...

I don't think so...I believe she was one that was shipped out :(