Saturday, November 8, 2008

Can You See It?

It's horrible...just plain horrible. It was still dark when I walked out of the house. Darling had just climbed out of bed and was getting ready for school as I opened up the door to go out to feed. It hit me straight in the face. That smell... I shook it off and told myself not to dwell on it. Surely it was imagined.

I headed down the steps and across the yard where the horses and sheep were waiting not so patiently, calling for me to hurry up with their breakfast. I then slipped back inside without giving the smell another thought. Darling was up and refusing breakfast. She's not a morning person and can't stomach anything related to food till nearly noon. She brushed her teeth and combed her hair, then we were out the door and headed to the bus stop. Darling didn't notice the scent that had come crashing up my nasal passages, and I didn't say anything.

A bit later I went out to start cleaning. It was daylight now. The smell wasn't so strong. I wanted to ignore it, to pretend it wasn't there. But like a bad accident where you just can't help but look, it was pullied my eyes towards the hill where I saw the whole, gory mess...





...snow...

As I sat here relaying my horrible, awful experience, Darling came by and sat on my lap to read. She got to the smell, and said to me, "I know what the smell is," with a triumphant smile. "Snow!"

"No! Don't say it!" I shouted back at her in a panic, looking around to see if anyone may have heard.

"Why? Are you afraid if I say snow, it'll come, just like if I say Boogey Man?"

"Aaaaaaggghhhh!!!!" And with that I dumped Darling onto the floor with the dogs and forever banished her from my lap.

8 comments:

Mrs. Mom said...

Ah yes, 'tis a scent I remember well.... the cold, crisp air.... and THAT smell...

Dear Heavens above Tracey, I ought not read posts like this before I go to bed. I'll have nightmares for sure! ;)

Pony Girl said...

Me....likes the snow, myself! ;)
Snow=snow days for teachers! Hee Hee!

Tracey said...

So sorry, Mrs Mom...I really didn't mean to upset anyone.

Shame on you, Pony Girl! Tsk, tsk...avoiding our little darlings for the sake of pleasuring yourselves...snow brings out the worst in everyone!

Lea and her Mustangs said...

LOL - yes we had about that much but it went away in the rain and we have had rain since. ICK

Cave BlackFyre said...

I saw the snow up on the same hills and SMILED a HUGE Smile!

I LOVE to ride in the snow, it's this wretched pouring rain and knee deep mud I dread and shudder over myself.

See with SNOW you have FROZEN ground and that means NO MUD (yippee). It also means frisky dogs and 'ponies' alike (Smile).

Gecko said...

There's a snow smell? =S
Is it like a rain smell? =S
I thought all USAans likes snow? =S

Tracey said...

No, Gecko, snow is evil!

Cave...you're crazy! You're living in some little fantasy world, woman! Snow does not mean frozen...it means 36 degrees and freaking miserable. It sits in my paddocks and the horses trample through it, creating mudnure snow. I can't pick up mudnure snow with my apple picker because it's not apples no more. It's mudnure snow!

Lea, sorry to hear about the rain. You're supposed to be high and dry over there!

photogchic said...

Not already! It started like a scary story told around the campfire...nicely done Tracey:-)