Monday, October 11, 2010

Saying Goodbye

Photobucket

Goodbyes are never easy. It doesn't matter what the relationship status...it's hard to say goodbye when you know that it means you may never see the one you've poured your heart and soul into again.

I'd love to have photos and video of Beamer and Darling's last day together for you. In fact, she's been working all week on her video, but youtube refuses to allow it to upload. And so we are without that goodbye...which may be a good thing in the long run, though it would have been nice to be able to share the competition with you.

Darling and her filly did quite well, finishing fifth out of ten. Beamer, not having learned to trot until 2 days before the competition, did not hesitate to pick up the pace each time she was asked. She trotted over poles and did her best to trot a serpentine around trees in the trail class. Despite never having worked on sidepassing, she did her very best to try to figure out what Darling was asking for. We've never been asked to sidepass at any of the makeovers and I simply didn't make it a priority for either of the girls here to learn...but there was a LOT of sidepassing in the trail portion, as well as in showmanship.

The competition was stiff, to say the least, and I believe Darling was quite happy to place as well as she did. And I know she loved the trainer's belt buckle that she earned!

Photobucket

Beamer was not the only horse we parted with recently. Sandy left for his new home yesterday.

Photobucket

Darling took him out to groom him so he'd be beautiful when Dave and Valerie got here with their horse trailer.


Photobucket


Naturally, I had to go and make myself all sentimental by hauling out the camera and taking shots that showed a relationship...and by the time Dave and Valerie showed up and asked me (hesitantly) how I was doing, I got all weepy eyed on them. Thankfully, no one was taking photos of me yesterday!

After picking up Sandy, Valerie and Dave picked up her young gelding, Stetson, and the two horses went together to their new home. Valerie emailed to say they'd settled in together just fine. The new barn has two stalls and separate paddocks so that they can be buddies without anyone picking on anyone else (you hear that, Sandy? No picking on poor baby Stetson!)

For some reason, I've got Roy and Dale singing Happy Trails running through my head. I'll miss my boy...but Dave has fallen in love with him. Happy Trails, Dave and Sandy, till we meet again!

Photobucket



10 comments:

Shirley said...

Not goodbye, but "auf weidersehen"- until we see you again! Congratulations to your daughter on her accomplishment.

Linda said...

Congratulations to Darling. That's wonderful! Very sad about having to say goodbye though. Sorry you have to do that.

Unknown said...

Tracey you bring tears to my eyes talking about Sandy and I know how difficult it must've been to say good-bye to a horse like him that you had sooo much into for so long. It sounds like he has a great home and you will be able to hear about him often.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Darling! It's sad, but you know they are going to good homes, and perhaps you'll hear how they're doing from time to time.

Crystal said...

Congats to Darling!
And sad to watch Sandy leave, but knowing hes going to a good home helps.

Jeni said...

Wow that's a really cool belt buckle !! Way To Go Darling !!!

I know it's sad watching one leave, but remember that opens up time for others. It sounds like Sandy has found him a terrific "forever home" and one that you feel no trepidation over.

Word verification is "blessin" if that's not a sign I don't know what one is!

Tracey said...

Jeni...what a terrific word verification!

Yes, Sandy will be well cared for, of that I have no doubt. Poor Dave and Valerie...having to suffer through my sniffles! But I swear that if I don't just sit and ponder, I'll be fine. Knowing he's gone isn't an issue. I just redirect my attention to the others...like that black and white monster with wicked back feet :) Or sweet angel Tika, who really does need to be ridden.

Blessin...love it!

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

I don't know how you do it. It's too sad! I'm glad they went to great homes though, and I can't wait to follow your progress with Tika and Lefty.

Blackfeatherfarm said...

I don't know how you two do it.... I know I couldn't. I fall in love with them too easily. Case in point - the last rescue dog I picked up off the streets. She should have been given away to a nice home, but,thats right I kept her. I could never put that much love, attention and training in. and then watch them go to a new home. I'm grateful you guys can, because so many need you.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations all in all! I mean that's really awesome they placed so well for something neither practiced. I'm SO happy they are finding good homes. So many need a good home, and it's awesome to see people who have the talents, and desire to do something beyond what most people do and succeed. It's sad, but the happy thing about it is, it gives you a chance to meet new horses and you never know who is out there waiting to have the chance to meet you!