Sunday, December 2, 2007

If Looks Could Kill...


...I'd be dead. Firecracker wasn't happy with me in her space. I'd been there too long, asked for too much. Greed. That's what it was. Things had been going smoothly and I wanted more than she was able to give.

This morning Stephanie and her husband showed up for Quiet Storm. She was so excited about taking home her new horse. Darling and I fought back the tears and were brave little soldiers. Loaded and on the road, we were in the house when Darling came and sat on my lap to cry. "I didn't want to sell her." And yet, less than a month ago she'd wanted nothing more than to give up her little filly for the new horse.

But Quiet Storm will be okay. Stephanie emailed three times from her cell phone to proclaim her love for this horse. And it will only get worse...that love sick feeling. They'll make a good team.Quiet Storm wasn't the only upset that faced us today. Firecracker lost her foal. Much farther along than I thought, I could make out the tiny body inside the crimson placenta laying out in the snow this morning. The head, the ears, eyes and even nostrils were prominent enough to show through. Legs; long and curled under it's belly, with the knees and hooves, and even it's hip could be made out. I'm left wondering what caused her to abort. She'd been coughing a bit when she first came, her nose a mucusey mess. Could it be rhinonuemenitis, a disease that causes late term abortion in mares? Or had she felt too stressed with me messing with her these past two weeks?

I'll likely never know. Thankfully, we hadn't grown attached to the unborn foal, so no grieving from anyone involved, least of all Firecracker. Her main concern today was how quickly I was going to produce her hay for breakfast and dinner. She didn't bat an eye when I hauled her aborted foal out in the wheelbarrow, never turned to wonder what I was doing. Far enough along to be more foal than fetus, not far enough along to be her baby. With the loss of the foal, I trust God must have something else in mind.

4 comments:

Tina Leavy said...

awwe, what a day. hope that Quiet Storm settles in to the new home just fine. sorry about the little foal, nature can be so cruel sometimes.

Lulu said...

I'm so sorry for the loss! But we must remember that things happen for a reason.

At least this way Firecracker will be able to divote her attention to you, rather than a baby.

Rising Rainbow said...

Sounds like a lot of stuff at one time.

photogchic said...

Sorry Tracie...tough day. So sad about the baby and I am sure Darling is still sad about Quiet Storm. I still regret selling a horse from my childhood. I think about him all the time and wonder how his life turned out. Give her a hug from me.