Sunday, October 12, 2008

Hags On 'Stangs




I was reading Jessie's blog a couple weeks ago when she talked about a club she belongs to called Hags on Nags. How cute! Although Jess is far from a hag. More like a babe. Me, though...well, Hag is definitely where it's at!

If you haven't heard, I ought to tell you that the Mustang Heritage Foundation has announced their list of upcoming events, and among them? The Northwest Extreme Mustang Makeover! Yes, northwest, which is here, where I live...in the northwest!

Of course, I've been trying hard not to think about it. Applications are due this month. Pick up is in December. The actual competition is being held in Albany, OR in March. This is not exactly prime horse training weather up in this neck of the woods.

Still...

I never really got to compete in June. I've got, as it were, unfinished business.

I've been talking with Debi, the owner of Mist (aka Firecracker), and encouraged her to sign up. She said yes! She's so excited about the whole mustang thing that it didn't take much of anything at all to get her downloading the application. And if Deb is accepted...well...we could drive together to pick up our horses, which surely cuts expenses. And this time around I'd be smart and start asking for sponsors to cover feed costs long before the horse gets here. Debi and I discussed a tack sale to help cover fuel costs.

And then it hit me. We needed to host a fun show. Something with a handful of performance classes, but some fun stuff like egg and spoon, toilet paper pairs, and sit a buck. We'd have a suggested donation that would cover all classes all day. Maybe have some pizza donated and sell that. And we needed a clever name...


So you see I must thank Jessie for her blog post about Hags on Nags. I do not ride a nag (although I've heard that I am one from time to time), but I do ride a 'Stang! So Debi and I are Hags on Stangs and we're going to host a slew of fund raisers to help us cover the expenses of travel. We'll have our Hags on 'Stangs fun show in November, and a tack sale maybe in December. And most importantly, we've got a very exclusive club forming for women over 39. Yes, 39, not 29. If you're not afraid to ride the brand and not afraid to brag about your age, then you, too, could be a Hag on Stang member! T-shirts are being offered in the column to the right for $20. And if you're not yet 39, or if you don't ride a stang, but would like to support us, we're happy to provide you with an Honorary Hag shirt for just $22. Yes , you read that right! Hey, membership has it's privileges, what can we say?


Guess I'd better print up that application, eh?

8 comments:

Jessie said...

I think I'll need one of those T-shirts :-) Good luck with your fun show, make sure to keep us up to date on the planning, and let me know if you need more ideas for classes!!

Tracey said...

Jessie, I think you do, too...but you are no hag, lol! And classes? Oh, yes! I liked the barrels with flowers. The keyhole seemed a little challenging to my brain. I've got toilet paper pairs which should be fun, and Daddy Lead Line.

Darling will ride Sandy in a few of the classes. It'll be her horse show debut!

Lady Of Chaos said...

Okay so I'm lost on the whole show thing... How did the meeting go anyway? I'd love to join the 'Hags on Stangs' but I'm just a tiny bit short... wait a year lol.

Tracey said...

LOC, you'll always be a tiny bit short :) The meeting went well on this side, but that was a funny day which deserves a post all its own...perhaps at carpenter creek.

Another meeting was being held in Ellensburg by WSH where Lea and Barb requested a Mustang Division so that we can earn high points and recognition when showing in any WSH show across the state, providing our mustangs are registered. And that...well...yet another post forthcoming.

Rising Rainbow said...

Wow, the weather will be a real challenge but then if you can call on Kurt from the beginning..........oh Kurt! you might never get behind.

Tracey said...

There's no way I can afford to do that again this year, unfortunately. Nearly 60 miles round trip every day nearly ruptured the bank account :) I'll be checking with my neighbor to see if she'll donate arena rental, which is normally $50 per month, so I can get inside. I may try to do Curt's for a couple of weeks early on, though, so I can use that round pen!

Lady Of Chaos said...

Okay, still lost... What is WHS?

Tracey said...

Washington State Horsemen. They offer open shows which are often referred to as Zone Shows. My zone is Northwest Border, not sure what your zone is down there. At the end of their show season they host a Zone challenge for their top competitors in each class. They also have high point awards for different divisions...and in 2009 that will include our little stangs.