Thursday, August 21, 2008

All's Fair...


"Thing 2" sits atop Sandy while at the fair


The heat was nearly unbearable last week. I hauled four horses up to the Northwest Washington Fair on Sunday; Sandy, Firecracker, Duns and Magic. Sandy was there for display purposes only while the other three were up for adoption.

You may recall that Skittles was going to take Magic, the dark appy. But after a bit of thought she and her husband decided they weren't quite ready for a horse, and I must admit a bit of relief as I was beginning to question if this was a good match or not. Magic is a very strong horse, and in the hands of someone soft and gentle he had the potential of becoming a very pushy horse. So Skittles is disappointed, but we need to get her the right animal for her personality, and Magic needed the right person in his life as well.

So...unbearable heat. Four horses. The temps reached over 90 and I swear the humidity was right there as well. I did gentling demos with FC, Duns and Magic all week. Duns hadn't been touched prior to Monday morning, so people were amazed that by the end of the week he could be led around and touched. He's a timid sort, so he wasn't coming along as quickly as Magic who was letting me toss the saddle on and off his back by the end of the week.


Magic lets me scratch his withers and shows off his new red halter.

Both geldings and Firecracker found new homes. FC's new mamma is wonderful! Years ago I used to work with her and she just happened to be at the fair and fell instantly in love. I spoke with her yesterday and she told me she looks into FC's eyes and her own eyes fill with tears. Magic has gone to live with a therapist who'll be using him in her practice. And Duns, our timid two year old, has found a 13 year old girl who's just as sweet and quiet as he is. He's staying here until her dad can get the panels set up. She came to visit him last night and it was the first time she was allowed inside the pen with her new horse. Duns saw me hand the rope over to her and rather than looking and trying to follow me, he walked willingly behind his new girl.

I can't tell you how pleasing it is to know that all three horses have found such wonderful homes that fit them so perfectly! Despite the heat it was a very good week with a lot of public education on the adoption process and three horses in new homes.


10 comments:

Mrs. Mom said...

That is such fantastic news Tracey!!!!!! I am so happy for you and all the horses!!!!! High 5 woman!

nikki said...

Glad to hear that all of the horses found new wonderful homes! :) Since Firecracker has found a new home does that mean that Darling is planning to keep Quiet Storm?

Love the picture of Sandy with his tiny passenger!

Tracey said...

Thanks, Mrs!

Nikki, no, she's keeping Dude, who is taller and much broader than Quiet Storm. We may have found a home for QS, though, as the adopter of FC (love all our shortened names?) has a granddaughter in need of a nice pony.

Isn't that pic adorable? Thing two is one of my twin nieces. The highlight of their week was coming over to see TC (that's me in twin speak) and ride Sandy =)

photogchic said...

That is fantastic news. Thanks for all you do Tracey to help the horse world be a better place. High 5 from me too:-)

Katee said...

That's awesome, Tracey. Way to go!

Unknown said...

Happy to hear the adoptions went well. We spoke briefly late one evening near the end of the fair. I still think you look 28, even in the dark. :o) I was hoping you would get to meet my daughter~in~law Sheli but she never made it over to you. I know you two would hit it off. Anyway, it was a pleasure meeting you and I hope to see you around the county. Highest regards for what you do with the Mustangs. You are a woman after my own heart,:o). Had to repay the compliment.
Bob VZ Equine.

Tracey said...

Bob! I drove past your place the other day. We were heading to Woolley to look at property and saw a huge building going up. City Boy wondered what it was, and I was able to tell him it was Bob's arena!

And thank you for the compliment...but trust me, I look much older when it's light out, lol!

Anonymous said...

I love that photo of the kid on the horse. In this day and age, it is great of hear of horses finding the right people. A lot of great horses are being dumped right now and it is hard for me to even think of how many. It is so nice to hear of the good stories.

Gecko said...

So great to come on here and read such good news! I bet it was sad letting them go but at least they'll be spoilt going to new homes, especially Magic, imagine massages that often? Ahhhh...

Pony Girl said...

Good news, I'm glad there were some successful adoptions and good matches! What a sweet story about FC, sounds like you'll be able to keep in touch and let us know how he is doing?